21 August 2007

How Do You Spell That?

After living on "I" Street, not like your eye, just the letter I, we swore we would try and avoid living on any street that someone would have to ask How Do You Spell That? Well after having to spell "WYE" for the gazillionth time today I got to thinking, what makes somebody name a street something so odd people don't know what it is? So I went exploring on the good ole internet and it didn't take long to find out that a Wye Oak is: The oldest white oak in the United States that stood for more than 450 years near Easton, MD. Hereis a link if you care to read more: http://www.nal.usda.gov/speccoll/images1/wye.html

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Yeah, why do they make road names hard to spell? Our last one was Crone Farm. Why did they have to name it that? The other roads in our subdivision were Mesquite, Cedar, etc. Easy to spell...Maybe Crone is a tree as well? Maybe I'll do a google search on that one.

Tanya said...

Nope, not a tree...Crone is a term used to describe an ancient archetype, an aspect of the triple goddess (maiden/mother/crone), and the third phase of a woman's life. When a woman is near, in, or past menopause, she is potentially a crone.

Ellen said...

Thanks Tanya. That is weird, considering all the other streets in our area were named after trees!

MandySue said...

It's september, it's been a month, we NEED an update :)